Job training, also known as Pre-Employment Transition Services, is a skill acquisition service for adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorder in the areas of job-exploration counseling, work-based learning, instruction in self-advocacy, and workplace readiness training. Job training will consist of small group behavior analytic interventions to address each participant's goals. As participants achieve individualized goals related to job placement, community placements will be explored with the participant and family. We encourage a desire to explore and learn about a variety of job opportunities.
Prospective participants and their families will receive a complimentary assessment with a member of our team to answer their questions and to determine whether our resources can meet their needs.
To receive updates about job training, please sign up to receive our newsletter at the bottom of this page.
- Job training is open to South Carolina residents between 13-21 years of age.
- Prospective participants must complete an assessment with our team to determine whether our resources can meet their needs.
- Participants must provide documentation of a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder by a licensed diagnosing professional.
- Participants must maintain low levels of aggressive/challenging behavior, such that they can safely access job training instruction in a group setting.
- Job-exploration counseling
- Work-based learning
- Instruction in self-advocacy
- Workplace readiness training
Work-based learning features workplace simulation as a t-shirt printer designing and printing real shirts at The Unumb Center Print Shop, located inside The Unumb Center.
We hold two semester-long sessions during each school year, typically beginning in September and January. The fall 2021 session begins August 26th and weekly meetings will be held on Thursday evenings.
Each prospective participant must complete an assessment to determine whether our resources can met their needs. Specific times will be assigned following a recommendation to participate. Those interested should complete the form linked on the right side of this page and a member of our team will reach out to schedule an assessment.